Friday, June 21, 2013



Today we woke up at 8:00 and began to work on the wall again. We began by using the excess mud on the wall which served as cement.  We all worked together diligently in order to get most of the wall done. We were all very tired from our work so we took a break around 10:30 and ate. After we ate we began to work a little bit more until 1:00 when we had lunch. I had a wonderful traditional meal with my family called “merienda”. It was one of the best meals I have had in a long time. It was a dish with cuy (Guinne Pig), rice, potatoes, and tortillas made of eggs, vegetables and potatoes. After my great meal I had tons of energy to continue working till about 3. I would say it was our most successful day in terms of progress. After working hard for about 5 hours we congregated in the school to do some activities as a group. It was a team building activity where we used spaghetti, a marshmallow, tape, and string to try to make the tallest structure. It was very challenging activity that showed off our leadership skills. Unfortunately the winners were not students but were one of our guides Johan and Wilbert who is the construction director. When we were done I played a well-deserved game of soccer with the children of the town. While I am writing this I am surrounded by 15 children who are curious about what I am doing. They keep asking questions like if I have games or photos. They range in age from 5-9 and are very sweet. So far I am having a great time in Peru it is truly a beautiful country full of kindhearted people. Lots of love to my mom dad and my brother Ricardo, I will see you soon.  
-       Alexandra Garces







2 comments:

Unknown said...

You all are doing a great job on the wall and working together as a team to finish the project. I can't wait for you to come home and tell me all the interesting adventures you guys had in Peru. Alex, I am glad you enjoyed your home cooked meal yesterday and hopefully you got the recipe so you can cook it for me when you get home. We love and miss you and are glad you are enjoying yourself. Hugs and kisses from Mom, Ricardo and me.

Anonymous said...

Folks, happy Inti Raymi. You are at the right place in the right moment.....

Post a Comment