Wednesday, June 26, 2013



Day 13 – Jun 26
Today after breakfast, at the Full Moon Lodge, we all had free time until 10:15. All the girls decided to go shopping. Each time something caught my eye in the market, I had to resist the temptation to purchasing it.  Last year I felt that I needed to bring Peru back to my family, but now I am trying to be more reasonable with my purchases. At 10:15 we walked together to the train station in Ollantaytambo , and after a two hour train ride we arrived to “Aguas Calientes”, where we ate lunch at the station and took a 20 minutes bus ride to Machu Picchu. Our exploration of this magnificent place began with a guided tour. The guide explained to us the rich history of ‘the lost city od the Incas.’ Afterwards, we explored the ruins in small groups. Machu Picchu is a place that is extremely hard to describe. I do not think that my words or pictures give it justice. At first the heat and multitude of stairs made it trying to walk; however, the cooler it got, and the more we walked, the beauty of Machu Picchu began to emerge. As we walked around, we stopped so many times to take pictures because it seemed that we always found a better view of the ruins. From the top of the site, the cool air was refreshing and the wind pushed me to keep exploring. The breathtaking views made me feel light on my feet and all the walking we did was worth it. I feel that Machu Picchu truly is a wonder of the world.
I send lots of love to my parents who will soon have to deal with two children once again.
Love,  Melissa Calderon -
PS: Dear Mom, Please tell Emily that I got her llama and it is the most expensive thing I purchased on this trip.
Our Reflections about Machu Picchu:
 “Machu Picchu was incredible was again and the history behind it is fascinating. The best part was the view. (Dad, I drank a lotJ)” – Julian
“Machu Picchu was even more spectacular than expected” – Alex
“I made it to Machu Picchu and didn’t break myself. It is beautiful and I hope to go back again with my family” – Ava
“Machu Picchu was truly one of the most breathtaking scenes I have ever seen” – Miah
“Machu Picchu was more beautiful than I expected. The views were breathtaking and it was a good way to end the trip” – James
“Peaceful, magnificent, enlighten, and an intriguing place” – Sra. Reyes
In December 1911 The New York Times wrote the following about Bingham’s rediscovery of Machu Picchu for the western world of:

 “Just now, when we thought there was practically no portion of the Earth’s surface still unknown, when the discovery of a single lake or mountain, or the charting of a remote strip of coast line was enough to give a man fame as an explorer, one member of the daredevil explorers craft has struck it rich, struck it so dazzlingly rich indeed, that all his confrères may be pardoned if they gnash their teeth in changing and turn green with envy” – Sra. Faus






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful!!! Melissa, I loved your posting! It made me want to go. It made me want to see the llama!!! Julian, 4 thumbs up from me and Dad - glad you drank a lot!!! Bendiciones! Keep it up, kid! Have fun in town and enjoy your last days.

Unknown said...

Looks absolutely wonderful - I'm envious and want to see it myself now. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow James, safe trip home everyone.

Post a Comment